Join your host Tracy Duhs as she interviews Matthew Kinney, one of the world’s first leading chefs at the forefront of plant-based cuisine, an author of 12 cookbooks and a best-selling memoir, a culinary educator and CEO of Matthew Kenney Cuisine. Experience the moment Matthew knew he wanted to be a chef.
“It was a lightbulb moment! I came to the conclusion that I wanted to dive into this plant-based food movement, specifically at that time, raw food. But use my culinary background to make it appealing to the mainstream, fashionable, and sexy.”
In this episode, Tracy and Matthew explain why living foods give you so much energy. They discuss being a restaurant owner during a global pandemic and how he has evolved his own business. Stay tuned to learn the importance of sourcing your food with love and care and why expanding the mind is critical to us expanding our lives!
- [2:54] The moment that inspired him as a chef.
- [6:04] Why do living foods give you so much energy?
- [10:33] Coping with life as a restaurant owner during a global pandemic.
- [13:00] Breaking down his current passion project, the Food Future Institute.
- [16:30] How food plays a part in hydration and what we can do to up our game.
- [17:44] His go-to hydrating dish.
- [18:54] Why you should EAT your water.
- [21:30] The importance of sourcing your ingredients with love and care.
- [23:14] Ad break.
- [25:14] Visualize your goals and take action.
- [28:21] Why the joys in life come from experiences.
- [30:50] How has COVID-19 changed his perspective on life?
- [33:35] The funny story behind his cat’s name.
- [35:30] Quinton, energy encapsulated into a vial.
- [38:24] What’s on the horizon business wise?
- [41:15] Call to action! 3 steps to expanding our consciousness.
- [45:30] Avid readers breed leaders.
Related Links/Products Mentioned
“Someone asks me the basic question, how does your company come up with these ideas? I always say that same answer, there are 3 components: Source the best and most impeccable ingredients (ideally organic, local and seasonal), use innovative tools and equipment, and dream!”
About Matthew Kenny
Matthew Kenney graduated from the French Culinary Institute and, after working in upscale New York City kitchens, opened a number of his own highly regarded restaurants in New York and along the East Coast. He has earned several awards, including being named one of America’s Best New Chefs by Food and Wine Magazine and was twice nominated as a Rising Star Chef in America by the James Beard Foundation. Kenney has appeared on numerous food and talk shows, and regularly lectures on the subject of food and health, including two highly-watched TEDx talks.
Currently, Kenney has 28 restaurants operating throughout 15 international cities spanning 5 continents, including PLANT CITY, the world’s first plant-based food hall. Located in Providence, RI, the 12,000 sq-ft venue has 5 unique restaurant concepts, a retail marketplace, a separate event venue and commissary kitchen, and a community center to host educational classes, panels, demos and other wellness initiatives. MKC is also involved with an additional 15 restaurants that are currently under construction and located throughout San Francisco; New York City; Palm Beach, FL; San José del Cabo, Mexico; and several cities throughout Europe and the Middle East.